Sunday, September 15, 2013

The world can be a very hard place. That's the word I want: HARD, for when there's a coldness, a lack of love, a judgement against you, and there are only a few things you can do. This is the kind of situation when you're pushed to react in anger, and yet you know that's not the right, or even productive response. So, "rising above" it is the response I need. That expression has an interesting history with me, although brief, but perhaps profound. It was a favorite expression of my mother's, and I think she meant something different from turning a blind eye, instead it was much closer to "turning the other cheek." I had a lot of trouble with that idea from the gospels: how is that any kind of solution for cruelty? Emmet Fox led me to conclude that Jesus meant, by "turning the other cheek," that the best way to answer harshness or enmity is to go into prayer, literally, internally, and focus your mind and heart on God's presence, instead of on the threat and the threatener. Not ignore, but go to the prayer-place instead of the panicky, fearful place. Not easy, at all, and I hardly know how, but I do have a clue; here's why: The greatest thing that ever happens to us, I believe, is when we perceive and detect God's presence. There, I said it. I don't want to play cat and mouse anymore, this is a blog that I read and perhaps a few others do, I can't say anything more valuable than that. So when you turn your other cheek in this sense, in the face of a threat, Jesus is telling you that God allies with you AND with your threatener to change EVERYone's thinking and feeling state, and a much better place is reached, by all. We ALL rise above. I believe it, although I'm often VERY uncertain about how to proceed to get this done, especially when I'm in the midst of panic at BEING threatened. The answer, I think, comes back again to prayer, and the practice of it. Nothing could be more important, and nothing has ever been more "slippery" for me, quite ironically, meaning sometimes I'm in utter despair at how badly I seem to do this thing, or handle this stuff. But perhaps that's a good, practical basis for cultivation of the other "side of the coin" in this matter, namely FAITH -- the idea that as much as I despair at my own apparent failings, my faith is built on my willingness to keep trying, again and again.
[Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.] And my God proves his faithfulness to me again and again, if I will just look, see, and feel. I am better at this than I once was. That's very important evidence for me! Partly, I discern that it's being said that prayer, and one's ability to "rise above" is powered by the depth of one's faith. To me, that's pretty profound. Certainly worth further pondering, AND action.

No comments: